I smell like oranges, cinnamon, clorox, sugar and sweat.
That sorta sums up my day. This was the first day in who knows how long (okay, two Saturdays ago) that I actually had nothing to do all day! So naturally I woke up at 8:15.
Today was a difficult day for decisions. Even though I had this outline of what I wanted to do: make gifts for friends, bake for friends, clean the house, pack, and go to my Tuesday night run group it took me forever to actually start.
I spent the entire morning at a few different stores, (notably Tuesday Morning) where I just couldn’t decide what I wanted to buy or why I was even there. At noon I finally got home to begin baking.
I don’t want to overwhelm you with recipes so I’ll stick with one for today… but here’s what I ended up baking today:
Peppermint Puppy Chow
Sweet Potato Pecan Butter
Orange Cranberry Coffee Loaves
More Sweet Potatoes just because
Sweet Potato Pie (recipe below)
Air Fresheners and Face Scrub (okay not really baking)
Is it obvious that I actually am ADDICTED to sweet potatoes?
Surprisingly I got everything done! All the baking, the deep clean that the kitchen needed, my gifts are done AND I got to go to my group run.
Highland Runners is an awesome group. We did a nice 5 mile loop, everyone stayed together and there was pizza and beer after! Why wouldn’t you want to train in a group? I see some really good friendships coming out of this! I am really gonna miss the group runs for the next few weeks while I’m home. I worry I may not even train…
I had to leave the socialization early to finish my sweet potato pie. I made a pecan crust because I just hate how soggy refrigerated crusts get. This pie is going to be the highlight of my friend’s ornament exchange party tomorrow night… or at least I hope so! I’ll take a nice picture of the slice tomorrow for you!
SWEET POTATO PIE with PECAN CRUST
3 cups raw pecans
6 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. kosher salt
6 tbsp. butter, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 350° with rack in the middle position. Pulse pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in food processor until coarsely chopped. Add butter and pulse until mixture is finely ground and holds together like damp sand. Press most of the pecan mixture into deep dish 9″ pie plate, reserving 1/4 cup remaining crumb mixture for topping. Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly colored and fragrant. Set aside until ready to fill.
- 2 cups sweet potato, roasted, scooped and mashed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 maple syrup (or golden syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- crumbled pecans (to top)
- Mix the sweet potatoes, eggs, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and bourbon in a large bowl and pour it into the pie crust.
- Place the pecans on top of the sweet potato filling.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the pastry id golden brown and the pecan layer is set, about 40-60 minutes.