The first official orange dish can be none other than Butternut Squash. I got mine at Trader Joe’s, and what I love about TJ’s is that all their produce is priced by item, so I chose the largest squash possible to get the best $1.99 deal. My squash ended up being around 3 pounds!
Lets just say the past three days have been filled with butternut squash. This dish, butternut squash mac n cheese (see my pumpkin mac n cheese for similar recipe), butternut squash and kale salad… and that was with freezing half of it. I still have one cup of puree (for soup) and one more chopped cup to add to another salad.
This dish is filling- definitely a great post-run dinner filled with complex carbs, starchy vegetables and protein.
IT’S RACE WEEK!
I’m tapering this week for the Atlanta Allstate 13.1 half marathon this Sunday (Oct. 6) so I’ve upped my carb intake. It’s helped me not have so many late-night pretzel cravings. My goal for the race is 1:38- one minute faster than my PR at Rock n Roll half marathon in St. Pete. I feel confident in my training, I’ve incorporated speed and tempo work from RunCoach.com. I’ll have a more comprehensive analysis of how my race went next post, and we’ll see if the training plan helped!
QUINOA-STUFFED BUTTERNUT SQUASH with ROASTED CHICKPEAS, GOLDEN BEETS, APPLES AND KALE
1 butternut squash, halved and seeds scooped
coconut oil, salt and cinnamon to season squash
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
handful of dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub squash with oil and season with cinnamon and salt.
2. Roast for 1 hour. (Meanwhile you can prep and cook the roasted veggies)
3. Remove from oven, let cool. Use the part of the squash where the seeds were scooped, preserve the rest of the squash for another use. Stuff the cavity with quinoa and top with dried cranberries.
Roasted Chickpeas, beets, apples and kale
1 whole golden beet
1/2 apple, chopped
1/2 cup chickpeas, tossed with allspice, cinnamon
2 cups kale- tossed with olive oil, balsamic and salt/pepper
1. With the oven at 425 degrees (from the squash), wrap a golden beet in aluminum foil. Roast for 30 minutes.
2. Add in the chopped apple to roast for 20 minutes.
3. Add in the chickpeas to roast for 10 minutes.
4. Add in the kale to roast for 5 minutes.
5. Remove everything from the oven and plate up!